Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Favorites

Creature of habit. Do you ever notice how you use certain products during the different seasons? Some might use a specific lip product during the winter to prevent dry, cracked lips. Others paint their nails with the cutest pastel shades during the spring. And some might lather on yummy pumpkin or cranberry lotions during the fall. I think we all do it. At least, I know I do. Which brings me to the point of today's blog: 2 of my favorite/most frequently used makeup products of the summer. Both of which are face products, time savers, and completely interchangeable. "What is she talking about", you might be asking yourself. Well, let me explain...

The first product is Sephora's Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15 and Vitamin E, in the shade Bronze. *Disclaimer: this item was discontinued sometime last year. I actually got it in the clearance section, for I believe $8- originally $16. Sephora has since released another tinted moisturizer- Perfectly Tinted Mositurizer with SPF 20 ($21). Both moisturizers are also oil free. 

Why I lovvveee this product for the summer is because not only is it a moisturizer with built in SPF, but it's also tinted so I use it in place of my liquid foundation. It's lightweight, so it doesn't feel cakey or heavy like a foundation could, especially during the summer months when you might sweat more easily and have to re-apply. It protects you from the sun's rays and saves time during your daily routine of getting ready. Or as I like to call it, "hair and makeup" ;)  Because it's a moisturizer and not a foundation, it soaks into your skin, so I find that I don't even have to use a loose powder to set it. I'm sure the new product Sephora has is very similar to this one, so I suggest picking one up- I think you'll love it just as much as I do. 

The second product is the Beauty Blender sponge available only at Sephora.com ($19 each, or 2 for $25). I had heard lots of things about this technique of using the beauty blender to apply foundation, and I wanted to try it myself. I love this little sponge. It does wonders and makes your foundation, or tinted moisturizer :) look flawless. I got the 2 blender deal, and it came with a sample cleanser for the sponges. Obviously you can see that the sponge is quite compressed when dry but expands when wet- as is the way you use it to apply your face makeup. The rounded end is intended for coverage of larger areas of the face; cheeks and jaw bone. The pointed end is for coverage of the smaller areas of your face that require more precision; inner corners of the eyes and in between the eyebrows. Simply dab foundation all over your face, dampen the sponge, squeeze out the excess water and dab on top of the foundation for even coverage. Previously I used a pointed kabuki brush to apply foundation, but after using the beauty blender, there is no going back. The beauty blenders are easy to work with, are time savers and I also think they're better to use on your face because they're much softer than brushes. Just be sure to wash your beauty blender every 3-4 uses. Aside from the cleanser that comes with the sponges, you can also use a mild anti-bacterial soap and water to clean.

The third product is HOT MAMA! by the Balm ($19) also from Sephora. It's an eye shadow and blush all in one-hence the interchangeable part. I use it strictly as a blush. I got this product last summer because I saw it on one of their displays and the color was just gorgeous to me. 



It's described as a peachy pink shimmer, but don't let the shimmer part scare you! I don't see it as being an overbearing shade at all. In fact, when applied it gives your cheeks a healthy sun-kissed glow. Just be careful not to build the color up too much, you don't want your sun-kissed glow to look completely fake, especially in the summer ;) To prevent from cake-i-ness or build up try applying the color with a stippling brush; it will give the product a more air brushed, flawless finish. 

So there you go my little sun bunnies- just a few of my favorite summertime products. I hope some of these tips were helpful and I hope you bust out some of your favorites and get glammed up too. Till then, stay fabulous! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment